|QUICK INFO:||Age: 45 Years||Height: 6’0″ |
Benedict Cumberbatch is an exceptionally acclaimed English entertainer who has worked in pretty much every field of media outlets. Benedict has been important for significant theater creations from his initial days and became well known for assuming the part of Titania at an extremely youthful age. He has worked in films, TV, theater, and radio.
Benedict Cumberbatch is a profoundly gifted individual and has even voiced a few notable characters from famous works of fiction like ‘The Simpsons’ and the film set of three of ‘The Hobbit.’ He has been a piece of significant film creations and has had huge impact on the broadcast business also. His film ‘Dr. Peculiar,’ which was delivered by ‘Wonder Studios,’ turned into a colossal hit around the world. His depiction of the notable person Sherlock Holmes in the hit TV series ‘Sherlock’ was valued by pundits all over the planet. Benedict Cumberbatch is hitched to the British Theater and Opera chief Sophie Hunter. Several has two children, specifically Christopher Carlton Cumberbatch and Hal Auden Cumberbatch.
Let’s take a look at his Biography.
Benedict Cumberbatch: Biography
|Birth Name||Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch|
|Nick Name||• The Batch|
|Age (as in 2022)||45 Years|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Cancer|
|Birth Place||London, England, United Kingdom|
|Date of Birth||19 July 1976|
|Residence||Hampstead, North London, England|
|Home Town||London, England, United Kingdom|
|Mother’s Name||Wanda Ventham (Actress)|
|Father’s Name||Timothy Carlton (Actor)|
|Sister||Tracy Peacock (Step-Sister)|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||• Olivia Poulet (1999-2011)|
• Anna Jones (2011-2012)
• Lydia Hearst (2012)
• Liv Tyler (2012)
• ara Pulver (2012
• atia Elizarova (2012)
• Charlotte Asprey (2013)
• Sophie Hunter (2014–Present)
|Marriage Date||February 14, 2015|
|Children||Son- • Hal Auden Cumberbatch|
• Christopher Carlton Cumberbatch
|School||• Brambletye School, West Sussex|
• Harrow School
|College/University||University of Manchester|
|Profession||Actor, Film Producer, Voice artist|
|Brands Endorsed||• MG GS “Chinese Car Advertisement” (2015)|
• Dunlop (2014), Google + Tom “Campaign” (2012)
• Jaguar Alive (2012)
• Sony Handycam NEX-5N (2012)
• Jaguar XFR Growler (2011)
• Hiscox “There is a light” (2012)
|Career Manager||Conway Van Gelder Grant Ltd, UK|
|Height (Approx.)||In centimeters- 183 cm|
In meters- 1.83 m
In feet inches- 5’ 7”
|Weight (Approx.)||In kilograms- 78 kg|
In pounds- 172 lbs
|Chest Size||43 Inches|
|Biceps Size||14 Inches|
|Waist Size||33 Inches|
|Extra Ordinary Features|
|Race / Ethnicity||White|
|Hair Color||Dyed Brown|
|Shoe Size||12 (US)|
|Favorite Restaurant||Osteria Emilia at Fleet Road, Hampstead|
|Favorite Place||Galaxidi of Greece, Villedieu in the South of France and New York|
|Favorite TV Shows||The Wire (2002-2008), The Office (2005-2013), The West Wing (1999-2006), Mad Men (2007-2015), The Sopranos (1999-2007), Breaking Bad (2008-2013), The Killing (2011-2014)|
|Favorite Authors||Vladimir Vladimirovich Nabokov, Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Charles Dickens, Paul Auster|
|Favorite Actors||Jack Nicholson, Steve McQueen, Harrison Ford, Marlon Brando, Martin Sheen, Stephen Dillane|
|Favorite Sport||Skydiving, hot-air ballooning, scuba diving, snowboarding, horse-riding, and motor-bikes|
|Favorite Filmmakers||Stanley Kubrick, Michael Winterbottom, Steven Soderbergh, John Hughes, Alfred Hitchcock|
|Favorite Movies||Ghostbusters (1984), Annie Hall (1977), 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), Singin’ in the Rain (1952), Wings of Desire (1987) and many more.|
|Favorite Holiday Dish||Brussels Sprouts|
Benedict Cumberbatch: Childhood & Early Life
- Benedict Cumberbatch was born on 19 July 1976, in London, England, to Timothy Carlton and Wanda Ventham.
- Most of his early days were spent in boarding schools. He received his education from ‘Brambletye School’ in West Sussex and from ‘Harrow School.’
- He was an arts scholar at ‘Harrow School’ and was a member of the ‘Rattigan Society,’ which was the foremost club of dramatic arts in his school at the time. Benedict Cumberbatch made his acting debut at the age of 12, starring as Titania in the famous play ‘A midsummer Night’s Dream.’
- He continued his training at the ‘London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts’ and graduated with a MA degree in classical acting.
- He has a half-sister named Tracy Peacock from his mother’s first marriage.
- Cumberbatch took a one-year break to volunteer as an English teacher at a Tibetan monastery in Darjeeling, India.
- He studied drama at the ‘Victoria University of Manchester’ which is now known as the ‘University of Manchester.’
Benedict Cumberbatch: Career
Career in Theatre
- Benedict Cumberbatch started his theatre career in 2001 and played major roles in several classic plays. In 2005, his performance as George Tesman in the play ‘Hedda Gabler’ was highly appreciated and he was nominated for ‘Olivier Award’ for ‘Best Performance in a Supporting Role.’
- He became part of the revival of Terence Rattigan’s famous play ‘After the Dance.’ The play was directed by Thea Sharrock at the ‘Royal National Theater.’ The adaptation won four ‘Olivier Awards’ and was awarded ‘Best Revival’ as well.
- Some of the other major plays that Cumberbatch was part of include, Danny Boyle’s ‘The Children’s Monologues’ (2010) and Danny Boyle’s stage production of Mary Shelley’s ‘Frankenstein’ (2011). For his performance in ‘Frankenstein,’ he won ‘Critics’ Circle Theatre Award,’ ‘Evening Standard Award,’ and the ‘Oliver Award,’ achieving the ‘Triple Crown of London Theatre.’
- In 2015, he acted in Shakespeare’s ‘Hamlet’ at London’s ‘Barbican Theatre’ and earned his third ‘Laurence Olivier Award’ nomination for his role.
Career in Television
- Benedict Cumberbatch appeared on the TV show ‘Tipping the Velvet’ in 2002. He then played the role of Edward Han on the TV show ‘Cambridge Spies’ in 2003. In the same year, he also starred as Rory in the comedy drama series, ‘Fortysomething.’
- He landed his first major role in television in the year 2004. He was selected to play the role of Stephen Hawking in the hit TV series ‘Hawking.’ Benedict was nominated for the ‘BAFTA TV Award’ for ‘Best Actor’ for his performance as Stephen Hawking. He also won the ‘Golden Nymph’ under the ‘Best Performance by an Actor’ category. Benedict Cumberbatch also voiced Stephen Hawking in the first episode of ‘Curiosity,’ a television drama series.
- In 2005, he was offered the role of Edmund Talbot in the TV miniseries ‘To the Ends of the Earth,’ which he readily accepted. In the same year, he also made guest appearances in shows like ‘Broken news’ and ‘Nathan Barley.’
- In 2007, Benedict Cumberbatch starred alongside Tom Hardy in the TV adaptation of ‘Stuart: A Life Backwards.’ The show aired on ‘BBC’ in September 2007.
- In 2008, he played the lead role in the hit ‘BBC’ miniseries ‘The Last Enemy.’ His performance as the lead character earned him a ‘Satellite Award’ nomination for ‘Best Actor in a Miniseries or TV Film.’
- In 2009, Benedict Cumberbatch starred as Luke Fitzwilliam in the TV show ‘Maple: Murder is Easy.’ He also played the role of Bernard in the TV adaptation of Andrea Levy’s novel ‘Small Island.’ His performance as Bernard earned him another ‘BAFTA Television Award’ nomination for ‘Best Supporting Actor.’
- 2010 was a significant year for Benedict Cumberbatch. He was cast to play the role of Vincent Van Gogh in the hit movie ‘Van Gogh: Painted with Words.’ His performance as Van Gogh was appreciated all around the world and is still revered as one of the best portrayals of the artist. In the same year, he was cast as Sherlock Holmes in the critically acclaimed TV series ‘Sherlock.’ The first season of the series was broadcast in 2010.
- In 2012, Benedict Cumberbatch was cast in the ‘BBC’ and ‘HBO’ co-produced miniseries ‘Parade’s End.’ The miniseries was filmed for just five episodes and was directed by Susana White. His performance in the miniseries earned him his second ‘Emmy Award’ nomination for ‘Best Actor in a Miniseries or TV movie.’
- In February 2017, Cumberbatch was cast to star in ‘Patrick Melrose,’ a miniseries adaptation of Edward St Aubyn’s novels.
- He also appeared as British political strategist Dominic Cummings in ‘HBO’ and Channel 4’s television film ‘Brexit: The Uncivil War’ in 2019.
Career in Films
- Benedict Cumberbatch appeared in ‘Atonement’ and ‘The Other Boleyn Girl’ in supporting roles in the year 2007 and 2008 respectively. In 2009, he was cast as Joseph Hooker in Charles Darwin’s biopic ‘Creation.’ Joseph Hooker was Charles Darwin’s close friend.
- In 2010, he was seen in two different films, ‘The Whistleblower’ and ‘Four Lions.’ ‘The Whistleblower’ is a Canadian-German-American biographical crime drama directed by Larysa Kondracki, while ‘Four Lions’ is a dark comedy directed by Chris Morris.
- Benedict Cumberbatch was cast in the 2011 film ‘Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy’ which is an adaptation of John le Carré’s novel. In the same year, he was cast in Steven Spielberg’s movie ‘War Horse.’
- In 2012, Benedict Cumberbatch was cast as Smaug and the Necromancer in the first instalment of the ‘Hobbit’ movie series: ‘An Unexpected Journey.’ He later reprised his role in the next two instalments of the trilogy, namely ‘Desolation of Smaug’ (2013) and ‘The Battle of Five Armies’ (2014).
- He played the antagonist in the movie ‘Star Trek into Darkness’ in the year 2013.
- He played British cryptographer Alan Turing in the historical drama ‘Imitation Game.’ The movie released in November 2014 and earned Cumberbatch nominations at the ‘Golden Globe,’ ‘BAFTA,’ ‘SAG,’ and ‘Oscar.’ The same year, he also voiced a character in the animated movie ‘Penguins of Madagascar.’
- In May 2014, he was cast in the film ‘Black Mass’ alongside Johnny Depp. In the month of August, he voiced a character named Shere Khan in the 2015 film adaptation of Rudyard Kipling’s classic, ‘The Jungle Book.’
- He played the title role in the movie ‘Dr. Strange’ in the November of 2016. The movie went on to become a big hit.
- He was cast as Thomas Edison in a movie titled ‘The Current War.’ Directed by Alfonso Gomez-Rejon, the movie stars Michael Shannon, Nicholas Hoult, Tom Holland, and Katherine Waterston in important roles. He was also cast as The Grinch for the 2018 remake of the classic story, ‘How the Grinch Stole Christmas.’
- He starred as Doctor Strange in the eponymous film, which released in November 2016, and in the ‘Avengers’ franchise, such as ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ (2018) and ‘Avengers: Endgame’ (2019).
- His performance as Stephen Hawking in the hit TV series ‘Hawking’ was highly appreciated and earned him many awards.
- His performance as Vincent Van Gogh in the hit movie ‘Van Gogh: Painted with Words’ is considered one of the best portrayals of the artist.
Awards & Achievements
- 2021Oscar-Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Nominated
- 2019BAFTA Television Awards-Best Actor: Winner
- 2018Emmy-Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or a Movie: Nominated
- 2017BAFTA Television Awards-Best Actor: Nominated
- 2015National Television Awards-Drama Performance: Nominated
- 2015BAFTA Television Awards-Best Actor: Nominated
- 2015Golden Globe-Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama: Nominated
- 2015Critics’ Choice Movie Awards-Best Actor: Nominated
- 2015BAFTA Film Awards-Best Leading Actor: Nominated
- 2015IFTA Film & Drama Awards-Best International Actor: Nominated
- 2014Screen Actors Guild Awards-Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role: Nominated
- 2014Screen Actors Guild Awards-Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominated
- 2014Oscar-Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Nominated
- 2013Emmy-Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie: Nominated
- 2013Screen Actors Guild Awards-Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominated
Marriage & Love Life
- Benedict Cumberbatch was in a relationship with Olivia Poulet for quite some time before calling it quits in 2011.
- Benedict Cumberbatch announced his engagement to Sophie Hunter, an English theatre and Opera director, in November 2014. The engagement was a low-key affair. The two got married on 14 February 2015. The couple welcomed their first child in June 2015 and named him Christopher Carlton.
Benedict Cumberbatch Movies
|2002||Hills Like White Elephants|
|2003||To Kill a King|
|2006||Starter for 10|
|2008||The Other Boleyn Girl|
|2011||Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy|
|2012||Girlfriend in a Coma|
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
|2013||Star Trek Into Darkness|
12 Years a Slave
The Fifth Estate
August: Osage County
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
|2014||The Imitation Game|
Penguins of Madagascar
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
|2017||The Current War|
|2018||Avengers: Infinity War|
The Dog Days of Winter
Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle
Between Two Ferns: The Movie
|TV SHOWS & SERIAL LIST|
|2002||Tipping the Velvet|
To the Ends of the Earth
|2007||Stuart: A Life Backwards|
|2008||The Last Enemy|
Marple: Murder Is Easy
|2010||Van Gogh: Painted with Words|
The Rattigan Enigma
|2014||The Colbert Report|
|2016||The Hollow Crown|
Saturday Night Live
|2017||The Child in Time|
|2019||Brexit: The Uncivil War|
Benedict Cumberbatch: Net Worth
|Net worth:||$40 Million (Rs.298 Crore INR)|
|Salary (Annual income):||$3 Million +|
|Monthly income:||$2,50,000 +|
|Salary (Indian Currency):||Rs.22 Crore (INR) +|
- He undergoes a disease named “heterochromia.” Therefore, his eyes have different colors. It commonly changes from blue to green.
- He took his audition on an iPhone in his friend’s kitchen for his performance as Khan in Star Trek into Darkness.
- He believes that he resembles Sid the Sloth from Ice Age.
- He essentially declined to star as Sherlock Holmes because he thought that the remake would be Cheap and Cheesy.
- Before becoming an actor, he was considering becoming a lawyer.
- Steven Spielberg portrayed him as The Best Sherlock on Screen.
- Benedict couldn’t think when Harrison Ford stated that he is a big fan of him.
- His real parents emerged in one of the episodes in the Sherlock TV series.
- There are more than 100 million words of Fan Fiction dedicated to him.
- For his portrayal of Alan Turing in The Imitation Game, he received unanimous critical acclaim and subsequently earned his first Oscar nomination for Best Actor.
- Until 2015, he has always turned empty-handed from these prestigious award shows wherein he has six BAFTA nominations, five Screen Actors Guild Award nominations, and two Golden Globe Award nominations.
- In June 2015, for his participation in the performing arts and charity, he was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) by Queen Elizabeth II during the Birthday Honours.
- He has been portrayed as an expert in photobombing and has been given the title of King of photobombs by various media outlets.
- His female fans were greeted Cumberbitches which Benedict didn’t like and felt it insulted them, he then subsequently softened it to a more suitable term Cumberpeople.
- He has been voted as the ‘S*xiest Man Alive’ in Empire and People magazine’s annual list on many moments.
- His life’s principle is Nothing is Impossible. The word Impossible itself says, ‘I’m possible.’
- He likes to paint large oil canvases and is known to be a prolific painter. He has lately donated his artworks to various charities and organizations.
- In 2005, when he was in South Africa with his two friends, he got kidnapped and was held at gunpoint.
- Furthermore, he was taken to an unidentified location and was liberated without any explanation from the kidnappers.
- He was featured on the list of 100 Makers of the 21st Century by The Sunday Times in 2014 and the publication has heralded him as this generation’s Sir Laurence Olivier.
- He was featured in Time magazine’s annual list of 100 Most Influential People in the World for the year 2014.
- He is close friends with Keira Knightley, James McAvoy, Tom Hardy, Matthew Goode, Zachary Quinto, and Eddie Redmayne.
- Since October 2014, Madame Tussauds London is showcasing the Benedict Cumberbatch wax figure.
- He is a Social Worker who represents The Prince’s Trust as its ambassador and supports various philanthropic activities that involve in helping deprived young people.
- After performing the character of Stephen Hawking in 2004 in the TV film Hawking, he has become the representative of Motor Neurone Disease Association and in 2014, he joined the organization’s Ice Bucket Challenge.
- When he was 12, he performed the character of Titania, Queen of the Fairies, in the play A Midsummer Night’s Dream.
Benedict Cumberbatch: Social Media Handle
- benedict cumberbatch babysitting tom holland for 15 minutes straight
- Try Not to Laugh Challenge with Benedict Cumberbatch
- Benedict Cumberbatch Goes Undercover on the Internet
- Benedict Cumberbatch Gets a Scare from ‘Iron Man’
- benedict cumberbatch being himself
Here I have tried to share everything about Benedict Cumberbatch like his biography, net worth, career, family details, age, place of birth, education and more.
This post might be missing something. If you think there is anything missing about Benedict Cumberbatch’s Biography let me know in the comment section.
* Credits of all information and images goes to their rightful owners. I don’t own anything.
Also check Biographies&Networth of :
Frequently Asked Questions
Benedict Cumberbatch Is Reportedly Offered A Whopping $9.5 Million For Doctor Strange Part 2
Benedict Cumberbatch Has Significant Royal And Magna Carta Ancestry With Descents From King Edward I And A Number Of Magna Carta Sureties. Surprisingly, The British Actor Also Has An American Connection With A Mayflower Descent From Mayflower Passengers John Alden, Priscilla Mullins, And Her Parents.
Cumberbatch Stated, “Cancer Isn’t A Disease That Needs Much Awareness, But It Does Need Continued Funding For Research.” In September 2014, He Participated In A Video Campaign For Stand Up To Cancer.
Benedict And Martin Will Never Be Best Mates, They’re Not Even Close. They’ve Remained Professional In Public As The Series Got More And More Popular But There Was Always A Concern Their Relationship Could Break Down.
Benedict Cumberbatch earns more than $3 Million annually.
Benedict has a rare genetic condition called heterochromia iridis. It means that his eyes are actually two different colors. Benedict is known for his particularly adoring fans.
His breakthrough on the big screen came in 2004 when he portrayed Stephen Hawking in the television movie Hawking (2004). In 2010, he became a household name as Sherlock Holmes on the British television series Sherlock (2010).
Benedict Cumberbatch speaks about five languages which including Japanese, German, Chinese, Portuguese, and Greek.
Benedict Cumberbatch has spoken about his character Sherlock Holmes' sex life, saying that he is no longer a virgin. The actor, who plays the famous detective in the popular BBC series, told Elle that although it was implied that Sherlock is a virgin in the premiere of the second series, this may no longer be the case.
According to PETA 'It's official—mega-talented British actor Benedict Cumberbatch is vegan. While promoting the highly anticipated Avengers: Infinity War, the Dr. Strange actor mentioned—during three separate interviews—his vegan diet.