Lata Mangeshkar (brought into the world as Hema Mangeshkar; 28 September 1929 – 6 February 2022) was an Indian playback artist and incidental music writer. She is generally considered to have been one of the best and most compelling artists in India. Her commitment to the Indian music industry in a vocation crossing seventy years acquired her honorific titles like the Nightingale of India, Voice of the Millennium and Queen of Melody.
She recorded tunes in more than 36 Indian dialects and a couple of unknown dialects, however fundamentally in Hindi, Bengali, and Marathi. She got a few awards and praises all through her vocation. In 1989 the Dadasaheb Phalke Award was presented to her by the Government of India. In 2001, in acknowledgment of her commitments to the country, she was granted the Bharat Ratna, India’s most elevated non military personnel honor; she is just the second female artist, after M. S. Subbulakshmi, to get this honor. France gave on her its most elevated regular citizen grant, Officer of the National Order of the Legion of Honor, in 2007.
She was the beneficiary of three National Film Awards, 15 Bengal Film Journalists’ Association Awards, four Filmfare Best Female Playback Awards, two Filmfare Special Awards, the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award and some more. In 1974, she was one of the principal Indian playback artists to at any point perform at Royal Albert Hall, London. Her last recorded tune was a version of the Gayatri Mantra at Mukesh Ambani’s girl Isha Ambani’s wedding.
Lata Mangeshkar Biography
|Age:||92 Years, 4 Month, 8 Days (DIED)|
|Nick Name||Hema, Lata|
|Height||5 Feet 1 Inch|
|Hair Color||Salt & Pepper|
|Date of Birth||28 September 1929|
|Date of Died||6th February 2022|
|Age (as 2022)||92 Years, 4 Month, 8 Days|
|Present Address||Mumbai, India|
|College||Did not attend|
|Educational Status||School Drop-out|
|Food||Spicy Foods, Coca Cola|
|Actor/Actress||Actors: Dilip Kumar, Amitabh Bachchan, Dev Anand|
Actresses: Nargis, Meena Kumari
|Music Director||Ghulam Haidar, Madan Mohan, Laxmikant Pyarelal, A. R. Rahman|
|Singers||Ghulam Haidar, Madan Mohan, Laxmikant Pyarelal, A. R. Rahman|
|Hobbies||Watching Cricket, Riding Bicycles|
|Films||Bollywood: Kismet (1943), James Bond Films|
|Holiday Destinations||Los Angeles|
|Father||Deenanath Mangeshkar (Marathi theatre actor, musician, and vocalist)|
|Brother||Hridaynath Mangeshkar (Music director)|
|Sister||Usha Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle & Meena Khadikar (All Are Playback singer)|
|Affairs||Bhupen Hazarika (Lyricist)|
Lata Mangeshkar: Career
|Debut||Singing: Hindi Song- “Mata Ek Sapoot Ki Duniya Badal De Tu;” Film- Gajaabhaau (Marathi, 1943)|
|Career beginnings||Lata Mangeshkar composed music for the first time in 1955 for the Marathi movie Ram Ram Pavane.|
|Singing Journey||In the 1960s, she composed music for the following Marathi movies under the pseudonym of Anand Ghan.|
|Career Turning Point||She won Maharashtra State Government’s Best Music Director Award for the film Sadhi Manase.|
|Musical style||Classical, Jazz, Rhythm, and Ghazals, Bhajans and Pop|
|Awards||Awards, Honours, Achievements:|
1972: Best Female Playback Singer for songs of the film Paricha
1974: Best Female Playback Singer for songs of the film Kora Kagaz
1990: Best Female Playback Singer for songs of the film Lekin…
1959: Best Female Playback Singer for the song- “Aaja Re Pardesi” from Madhumati
1963: Best Female Playback Singer for the song- “Kahi Deep Jale Kahi Dil” from Bees Saal Baad
1966: Best Female Playback Singer for the song- “Tumhi Mere Mandir Tumhi Meri Pooja” from Khandan
1970: Best Female Playback Singer for the song- “Aap Mujhe Achhe Lagne Lage” from Jeene Ki Raah
1994: Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award
1995: Filmfare Special Award for “Didi Tera Devar Deewana” from Hum Aapke Hain Koun..!
Maharashtra State Film Awards:
1966: Best Playback Singer for Sadhi Mansa
1977: Best Playback Singer for Jait Re Jait
1997: Maharashtra Bhushan Award
2001: Maharashtra Ratna (First Recipient)
Government of India Awards:
1969: Padma Bhushan
1989: Dada Saheb Phalke Award
1999: Padma Vibhushan
2001: Bharat Ratna
2008: “One Time Award for Lifetime Achievement” honor to commemorate the 60th anniversary of India’s independence
|1945||Janani janambhooh mi… Tum maa ho badi maa||K. Dutta||Badi maa|
|1945||Mata tere charnon men||K. Dutta||Badi maa|
|1946||Chidiya bole choon choon maina bole hoon||Vasant Desai||Jeven Yatra|
|1946||Pyare bapu ki||Tufail Farooqi||Sona Chandni|
|1946||Main khili khili phulvari||Vasant Desai||Subhadra|
|1946||Piya aayega gori shudh na bisaar||Vasant Desai||Subhadra|
|1946||Sanwariya o basuriya o bajaai gayo re||Vasant Desai||Subhadra|
|1947||Ab kaun sunega mere man ki baat||Datta Daavjekar||Aap ki sewa men|
|1947||Ek naye rang men duje umang men||Datta Daavjekar||Aap ki sewa men|
|1947||Chalo Ho Gayi Taiyar||Datta Daavjekar||Aap ki sewa men|
|1947||Paa laguu kar joda jodi hori shyam mose na||Paigankar and Karnard||Shadi sai Pehlai|
|1947||Jawani ki rel chali||C. Ramchandra||Shehnai|
|1948||Main to naacho chhama chham naach re||S. Parsekar||Andho ka sahara|
Lata Mangeshkar: Networth
|Net Worth (at the time of Death)||$16 Million|
|Net Worth In Indian Rupees||Rs. 120 Crore INR|
|Profession||Indian playback singer, music director|
|Monthly Income And Salary||40 Lakhs +|
|Yearly Income||6 Crore +|
- Sister of Asha Bhosle
- Daughter of Dinanath Mangeshkar
- A legendary playback singer in Indian movies, she recorded over 30,000 songs in 14 Indian languages, making her the most recorded voice in history.
- Was awarded the Bharatha Rathna, the highest civilian honor by the Government of India.
- Mentioned in the song “Brimful of Asha” by Cornershop. (The title refers to her sister, Asha Bhosle, who is also mentioned in the song.).
- In an interview,Lata Mangeshkar herself disclosed on her 84th birthday in September,2013,”Ghulam Haider is truly my Godfather.It was his confidence in me that he fought for me to tuck me into the Hindi Film Industry which otherwise had initially rejected me.Remembering her early rejection,Lata once said,” Ghulam Haiderwas the first music director who showed complete faith in my talent.He introduced me to many film producers including S. Mukherji,a big name in film production,but when he said my voice was “too thin” to use in his film,Ghulam Haider was furious.Hence,finally he convinced Bombay Talkies,a banner bigger than S. Mukherji and introduced me through their movie Majboor (1948).Lata’s first big breakthrough film song,was “Dil mera tora,mujhe kaheen ka na chhora teray pyaar ne” lyrics by Nazim Panipati,composed by Ghulam Haider.
- International DJ Lord Paramour sampled her vocals for their song “Jalnina”. They did that as a tribute to her.
- Black Thought & Mos Def song Hurricane sampled a old song by Lata Mangeshkar. This was for the album Okayplayer Bollywood Remake – Deleted Scenes.
- International NRI singer Lata Ramasar was named after the legend Lata Mangeshkar. She sand the disco songs “The Greatest Name That Lives” and “Highway Xpress” in the year 1980. Her songs are now frequently remixed by DJ”s around the world.
- Niece is singer Radha Mangeshkar.
- Mangeshkar is also a recipient of honorary doctorates from the Sangeet Natak Akademi in 1989, Indira Kala Sangeet Vishwavidyalaya, Khairagarh, and Shivaji University in Kolhapur.
- Her contribution to Indian music industry in a career spanning seven decades gained her honorific titles such as the Nightingale of India, Voice of the Millennium and Queen of Melody.
- In 2009, Mangeshkar was awarded the title of Officer of the French Legion of Honour, France’s highest order.
- In 2012, Mangeshkar was ranked number 10 in Outlook India’s poll of the Greatest Indian.
- In 1984, the State Government of Madhya Pradesh instituted the Lata Mangeshkar Award in her honour. The State Government of Maharashtra also instituted a Lata Mangeshkar Award in 1992.
- She was the recipient of three National Film Awards, 15 Bengal Film Journalists’ Association Awards, four Filmfare Best Female Playback Awards, two Filmfare Special Awards, the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award and many more.
- She is widely considered one of the greatest and most influential singers in India.
- Indian actor and film producer Dilip Kumar once commented, Lata Mangeshkar ki awaaz kudrat ki takhleek ka ek karishma hain, meaning “Lata Mangeshkar’s voice is a miracle from God”.
- In 1969, she made the unusual gesture of giving up the Filmfare Best Female Playback Award in order to promote fresh talent. She was later awarded the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award in 1993 and Filmfare Special Awards in 1994 and 2004.
- In 1974, she became the first Indian to perform at Royal Albert Hall, London.
Lata Mangeshkar: Social Media Handle
Here I have tried to share everything about Lata Mangeshkar like her biography, net worth, career, awards, achievements, records and more.
This post might be missing something. If you think there is anything missing about Lata Mangeshkar’s Biography let me know in the comment section.
* Credits of all information and images goes to their rightful owners. I don’t own anything.
Also check Biographies&Networth of :
Frequently Asked Questions
Shraddha and Lata are relatives. The actor's maternal grandfather Pandit Pandharinath Kolhapure was Lata's first cousin. Shraddha's aunt and former actor Padmini Kolhapure, the niece of the legendary singer, also mourned her death and fondly recalled that as a child, she was in awe of Lata.
One who sang more than 30,000 songs in over 36 languages, Lata Mangeshkar let the warm glow of her voice reach every corner of the country.
Lata Mangeshkar, (born September 28, 1929, Indore, British India—died February 6, 2022, Mumbai, India), legendary Indian playback singer noted for her distinctive voice and a vocal range that extended over more than three octaves.
Lata Mangeshkar (92), a soprano known as the 'nightingale' of India, dies with Covid. ... The soprano was known as the “nightingale” of India for her distinctive, piercing voice, and was among the world's most prolific singers.
Known to millions as the "nightingale of India" and a regular fixture of the country's airwaves for decades, Lata was the eldest of the other Mangeshkar siblings - sisters Meena Khadikar, Asha Bhosle, Usha Mangeshkar, and brother Hridaynath Mangeshkar.